In July 2017, HyungJun arrived to Samswungwon Orphanage when he was 11 months old. Now he’s almost 2 years old, and he’s enjoyed being the youngest child at the orphanage in Gumi, South Korea. Thanks to KKOOM supporters, HyungJun is also thriving in preschool.
For this update, we wanted to ask him some questions to get to know him better. Here are HyungJun’s answers to the questions we posed to him (full disclosure: his house mom helped him answer!)
- What do you like to do the most?
- “I like to play outside and I like to play various games such as dolls.”
- What is your favorite food? What food don’t you like?
- “I like all food! I especially like fruits such as oranges, strawberries, grapes, and bananas.”
- Describe your personality.
- “I am very active but a bit stubborn.”
- What is your biggest change or improvement since coming to Samsungwon?? His health, becoming less shy
- “When I first came in July 2017, I was underweight. But now, I’m maintaining a normal weight for a toddler my age. My overall physical development is similar now to my peers.”
- What do you like to learn and do?
- “I like to go to preschool and play games that are age appropriate for my age group.”
As you can see from the photos, HyungJun loves playing with toys, whether it’s a toy car, or Beyblade spinners (picture of him in the red bucket). Looks like he’s hoping to hit the jackpot looking for treasure in the sandbox at Samsungwon Orphanage. He seems to also enjoy playing doctor with the other children. We’ll take a wild guess that he loves spaghetti too. Lastly, he’s curiously checking out the photos in his book along with the other toddlers at preschool.
HyungJun weighed just 16 pounds when he came to Samsungwon a year ago, and now, he is a healthy baby surrounded by a positive loving environment thanks to the staff and other children in his orphanage family. Although it’s a non-traditional environment, we’re happy to report that he has the stability, love, and care he needs to have a brighter future than he had prior to coming to the orphanage.
To give directly to our preschool scholarship program to help HyungJun continue getting an early start to his education, visit our Global Giving page here. KKOOM is grateful for your generosity! Let’s continue improving the lives of South Korean orphans together.